Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mr McQueen

Alexander McQueen by Tim Walker 
Alexander McQueen FW10 - his last collection

Monday 11th February marked the 3rd anniversary of Alexander McQueen's death. Tim Blanks wrote this tribute in 2010 upon receiving the news :

"The news that Alexander McQueen has killed himself is particularly devastating because it always felt to me like he’d be the last man standing. He was restless, but so pragmatic with it I assumed he had what it took to endure the extreme situations he placed himself in. He was also an arch romantic with a pessimistic streak. It produced some of the most beautiful, shocking images in the history of fashion, but it’s a state of mind that can lead to endless disappointments. The death of McQueen’s mother last week would have validated his pessimism. It would undoubtedly have taken away his most vital support. It’s awful to imagine him trying—and failing—to cope, and one can only hope that, if he was looking for peace, he found it. For everyone left behind, there will eventually be consolation, however scant right now, in a body of work whose power will never die."
style.com


I remember exactly where I was when I heard that McQueen had killed himself. I was in my third year of university studying Fashion Communication and was standing in the doorway of Fenwicks in the middle of Newcastle. I called Belle straight away and then made my way back to the Design building. I remember the walk back taking a long time. The air was heavy and black and my brain was fuzzy. When I got there the whole building was absolutely silent. People cried and sat looking at each other, accepting that a little shard of pure light had just left the world.
There are certain points in life where the world shifts a little. Everything will always be a bit different and that moment will stay with you forever.
For me, that was one of those points.
I can't explain to you why I feel so sad still that McQueen is no longer in the world. I never met him, I hold no obvious parallels with his life. I think that the transition with Sarah Burton has been respectful and beautifully executed and it makes me happy that the house didn't die with him. SS13 was clever and incredibly intricate. And about bees, so I was on board from the get go.
I guess there are some people, whether you know them or not, that you're just always going to miss.

Below is the finale of SS99, one of the most beautiful fashion events in history


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends